Outdoor Activities in Yorkshire
Families - Groups - Individuals
The Yorkshire Dales is Lupine’s local playground for all manner of outdoor activities with many of our staff truly “Yorkshire born and bred” having an intimate knowledge, and obsessive love for, this exquisite area. Some might say it’s “God’s Own Country”, and who dare contradict them?
The area offers beauty and challenge in divine proportion…
For those wishing to raise money for charity or just push themselves among beautiful surroundings, Lupine can support a range of walking challenge events.
- The Yorkshire 3 Peaks
The Dales is home to the iconic 24 mile circuit of Pen-y-Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough. The aim is to complete the walk in under 12 hours. More details can be found here
Lupine supports the Friends of the Three Peaks to protect and enhance this inspirational landscape.
- Alternative Challenges
For those keen to avoid the crowds, there’s the alternative, 22 mile, Wharfedale 3 Peaks Challenge of Birks Fell, Buckden Pike and Great Whernside centred on Kettlewell. We’ve also developed our own, 23 mile, Caves, Waterfalls, Tarns and Mines circuit using picturesque and vibrant Settle as a start point and base for your celebrations.
Please speak to us about bespoke ideas for your own Yorkshire Dales challenges.
- For Children
For children, Pen-y-Ghent or Malham Landscape Trail (perhaps with an ascent of Gordale Scar) and sections of the Dales Way make good sponsored walk routes. Contact us with your fund-raising plans. Walks can be developed in order to explore elements of the school curriculum or meet personal development objectives. If you’re a Bradford School, talk to us about the Bradford Opportunity Area scheme.
Lupine provide a range of rock climbing activities using skilled and qualified instructors with great knowledge of Yorkshire Dales climbing venues, indoors and out. These include –
Experiences and Skills Development
- Climbing Experience – tasters for beginners, including individuals, groups of all sorts and children
- Skills for Independent Climbing – the skills to “top rope” single pitch climbs
- Skills for Lead Climbing – learn or develop lead climbing skills, placing runners
- Skills for Multi Pitch Climbing – longer routes, managing stances
- Movement Skills – coaching climbing efficiency, improving performance, bouldering
- Guided Experiences on Yorkshire’s iconic crags. To whet your appetite…
- Classic Almscliffe – guided climbing on the North West Face (VD-HVS)
- Pen-y-Ghent The Hard Way – guided climbing on the Summit Crags (S-VS)
- Simon’s Seat The Hard Way – guided climbing on the North Face (S-VS)
- Malham Cove The Hard Way – guided climbing on the Left Wing (VS-HVS)
- Brimham Rocks Safari – guided climbing among natural rock sculptures (VD-HVS)
- Support for GCSE PE rock climbing and other work with schools. If you’re a Bradford School, talk to us about the Bradford Opportunity Area scheme.
Speak to us about your Yorkshire rock climbing plans.
With our wealth of local knowledge we can add value to your day or long distance walk.
- Explore the limestone landscapes around the southern Dales with our “Three Peaks Up and Under” walks. These follow Simon Oldfield’s itineraries, locating ancient settlements, potholes and other natural and cultural history curiosities, from his book, A three peaks up and under.
- Let us guide you on Malham’s Landscape Trail. Ideal for groups preparing to study Geography or geology GCSE – limestone landscapes, faulting and glacial processes. Or anyone else interested in this unique and spectacular place.
- Themed Walks – talk to us about spotholing and wild cave walks, geocaching, wildflower and heritage walks…
Long Distance Walks
The Yorkshire Dales has some fantastic long distance walking routes
- 100 - 270 miles: Pennine Way, Coast to Coast, Wainwright’s A Pennine Journey
- 80 - 100 miles: Lady Anne's Way, Dales High Way, Dales Way
- 50 - 75 miles: Herriot Way, Ribble Way, Dales Inn Way, Nidderdale Way
We can guide sections of these walks, taking care of the navigation and other logistics, leaving you free to enjoy the journey.