Lowland Leader Award
The Lowland Leader award has been designed for people who wish to lead groups on day walks in lowland countryside and woodland in summer conditions. The majority of the UK and Ireland is made up of this type of terrain so you'll never be short of places to go walking.
The Lowland Leader Award will qualify you in the eyes of most organisations for taking groups out in Lowland countryside in the UK. There is a bolt on 'Expedition skills module' which some organisations may require you to do if taking DofE groups out.
Lupine Adventure are not currently in a position to run Lowland leader awards but we recommend that if there are 4 or more of you at your school or youth group then you get in touch with Dan Mckinlay who will arrange a course for the price of £135 per person (at the time of writing)
If you would like more information on this please get in touch.
The pathway to becoming a Lowland Leader
This is completed via the Mountain Training Website, you have to create an account on their Candidate Management System (if you don't have one already).
You then register for the Lowland Leader scheme which will cost £44
Before attending training you have to have logged 10 varied walks in lowland terrain where the use of a map was required. These could have been completed before you registered for the award. You then attend a 2 day training course.
You then have to spend a bit of time putting what you have learnt on the training into practice.
Before you attend assessment you have to have completed 20 walks in lowland countryside in different types or terrain (woodland, costal, farmland etc). You then attend a 2 day Assessment.
Expedition Skills module
If, after you have passed your Lowland Leader Award, you decide to you can opt to do the Expedition Skills Module. This Module takes one weekend to complete and is combined training and assessment in the one weekend.
When you register for either the Lowland Leader or Hill and Moorland Leader scheme you'll automatically be registered for the Expedition Skills Module.
The prerequisites for the Expedition Skills Module are as follows:
- You must check that you are registered for the module on the Candidate Management System (CMS)
- You must have passed a walking leader assessment (Lowland, Hill and Moorland or Mountain)
- You must have logged an absolute minimum of 10 overnight camps; ideally in a variety of contexts
- You must have assissted with at least two group camps (these can be included in your 10 personal camps)
- You must have a valid 16 hour first aid certificate, relevant to your work as a walking leader
The Lowland Leader Syllabus
Lowland Leaders should be competent in the following key areas, all of which will be covered during your two day training course.
- Leadership Skills and Group Management
- Walking Skills
- Planning a Walk
- Basic Mapwork and Route Finding Skills
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures
- Environmental Awareness, Conservation, Access and Land Ownership